Friday, March 27, 2009

Off The Beaten Path






















My friend Jessica invited us to go to Dauphin Island again a couple of weeks ago. We had a blast again and the girls now want to have our own house there!! On the way back home the girls wanted to eat donuts for breakfast. I put a donut store into my GPS machine and it lead me to Ocean Springs Mississippi. I had recently read a non fiction book called Approaching the Magic Hour. This book describes the life of an artist named Watler Anderson. He had undiagnosed schitzophrenia and was a fabulous artist. His wife wrote the book and described what it was like to live with him. He would go off for months at a time and live in a canoe and paint pictures of the ocean animals. He also rode his bicycle everywhere once even to New York City. While traveling to the donut store, I saw a sign for the Walter Anderson Art Museum and I had to go!! I remembered being so touched by his story and so moved by his paintings. I took a few pictures but they do not do them justice. Someday when you are hungry for donuts, travel off the beaten path and go see these for yourself. You won't regret it. When he died his wife found a locked room where he never allowed anyone to go. In the room there was a fabulous mural where every spot of the wall was covered in paintings. They moved this room into the museum and it is wonderful! Enjoy!! Love to you all, Dawn

2 comments:

Eliza said...

It's so true that crazy people make the best artists.

JNew said...

that's really cool